If you remember, this is the agapanthus I planted around the rainwater tank last year. This damage was done when the tank burst it's pipes again. The gushing water escaped out the inlet pipes and ran down the hill, taking a lot of soil with it. But this is what I love about agapanthus plants - their roots really do grow into a thick mat. I'm glad I chose this plant for precisely this reason.
While I'm not a big fan of storms, it did highlight the need for better drainage systems on our property. The retaining walls we started last year were fantatic! They did exactly what they were designed to do - which was stop the soil from washing away and drain the excess water safely. Dave checked the outpipes during one particular afternoon storm, and he said the water was gushing out. So it worked!!
Next year we have more retaining walls in mind, but also incorporating a French drain in-front of them. Stay tuned for that project.
But now a quick garden update with some of my seedling developments. First, the sunflowers.
And that's a rouge pumpkin in the front, which has sprung up from our homemade compost. A lot of tomato seedlings have sprung up too, but they have been pulled!
My pidgeon peas on the other hand, haven't been a great success. I've sewn 8 seeds in total, and so far only 4 have come up. Of those, only 2 plants have survived and one looks as if it's going to shrivel up soon. I've found better success planting direct, than planting in a seedling tray. Here is the survivor:
My brandywine tomatoes have survived and I've planted 4 along the chook run. They're only small but hopefully will grow bigger. Here is the biggest one:
And finally, not the best picture, but I made a cucumber support out of old sappling trees I had cut down. Hopefully it will hold the weight of the apple cumcumbers I have planted underneath.
I must say, my growing attempts haven't been completely disappointing, but I'm realising how deprived my soil is. This is the first year I've added our home-made compost in some areas of the garden, but the seedlings are struggling to grow.
Either that, or I'm just incredibly impatient...which is entirely possible!