Friday, October 16, 2009

Summer craft - waffle dishcloth



I always know when summer is approaching, as I do more undercover projects to get out of the sun. It wasn't long before I put my new basket to work either, to hold my waffle dishcloth knitting. It was sprawled all over the table before and very messy. Now I can move it to the table (or from it) very quickly.

The waffle dishcloth must be the most done to death knitted cloth project around - and why not - it's a great design!

I found the original pattern on Deb's Homespun Living page didn't work with 4 ply cotton very well. I could only find 4 ply at my local Spotlight store, so I set to work experimenting with the original pattern.

I did a very minute change, which I will bold, but it just requires a few extra stitches and a change in needle sizes. Trying to do the original pattern with 4 ply and the 4.25 needles, gave my wrists terrible cramps. Save your wrists and use smaller needles if you're going to be using smaller than 8 ply cotton.

I loved the avocado coloured cotton and have other colours to experiment with also. These are my first two dishcloths which I hope to add to.



 

Waffle Knit Dishcloth
from Homespun Living

Materials: 1 ball 4ply cotton yarn; additional yarn for colored stripe, if desired.
Size 9 needles

Directions:

Cast on 44 stitches.
Knit 3 rows for border.

Row 1: (right side): Knit.

Row 2: K 3, purl to last 3 stitches, k 3.

Row 3: K 3, (P 2, k 1) 12 times, p 2, k 3.

Row 4: K 3, (K 2, p 1) 12 times, k 5.

Repeat these 4 rows, 6 times. If a colored center stripe is desired, change yarn now and work rows 1 – 4, 2 times in desired color.
Change back to main color and work the 4 row pattern, 6 times.

Knit last 4 rows.
Bind off and weave in ends

5 comments:

  1. ha ha i know what you mean about that pattern but it is awesome & was my first time knitting something other than stocking stitch so its my fav. lov the green & orange cotton, the colours at my spotlight are all dull & boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bit of pot-luck when scouting around for cotton yarn, isn't it? I'm tempted to go back to Spotlight to stock up, just in case the colours aren't there when I run out, LOL.

    Can you order new colours on-line perhaps? I've heard you can order stuff from Spotlight on-line, but I've never done it myself.

    And don't we all start with stocking stich, LOL, the waffle pattern is somewhat of a new venture for me also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lurv the dishcloths. I too have made my own. I was outside doing some hand sewing this afternoon, listening to the ducks and chooks:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love this pattern and have used it alot.
    I couldn't find the 8ply either the other day, they must be either out or no longer stocking it! Yikes I hope they get it again - maybe lincraft might have it? (Spotlight is moving out to the old bunnings site so it will be even further away from us!)
    I am about to start on a string bag out of the 4ply cotton. But I might squeeze a dish cloth in too.
    Thanks for sharing your altered pattern I will give it a go.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I didn't know Spotlight will be moving out that way. The 18 years I've been familiar with the area, Spotlight has never been anywhere else!!

    Although I must say, I do like to venture over to the new Bunnings store for a hardware fix; which isn't far from where it sounds Spotlight will be moving soon. A craft and hardware fix at the same time! Could this be heaven? ;)

    It sounds like you're having a wonderful weekend, Lucky. All those little critters to watch between stitches. What are you sewing? I'd personally like to get into quilting one day. It looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.