Friday, January 15, 2016

A new smoothie

So I was weeding the vegetable patch yesterday, in the cool of the afternoon, and I pulled up some beetroot, which I thought had succumb to the heat of summer. They had wilted, tiny leaves. But to my surprise they had small bulbs, and I thought of what I could make with such a meagre offering from the garden.

A recent post from a friend, had me contemplating a beetroot smoothie the following morning. So that's what I did. I cleaned, boiled and then removed the skin of the beetroot.


Ready to go


Now I don't have a fancy piece of equipment to make smoothies with, so in the past, they've been kind of chunky, with my regular blender. My Bamix stick-blender, on the other hand, probably had more chop. So I decided to give it an extra helping hand, by cooking the beetroot first and making it easier to pulverise.


 Frozen, cooked and raw ingredients


I sliced the cooled beetroot, got some frozen strawberries from the freezer, and readied a small portion of cashews for protein and healthy fats. From experience, I knew I had to help the cashews break down easier too. So in came the handy grinder, which attaches to my stick blender.


First grind


This made a rough meal, to which I added a teaspoon of flax seeds. After a bit more whizzing, it broke it down into a smoother meal. Flax seeds are a good source of manganese, vitamin B1 and Omega 3 fatty acids.


 Finished meal


Then it was time to load up my tall jug with everything, and see what my stick blender could do. I changed attachments of course, and ditched the grinder. As it whizzed around in the jug, I added some water and apple juice, to make it less thick and a little bit sweeter too. But not too sweet. I found it did need the apple juice to connect all the flavours.


 A beautiful red smoothie for breakfast


The texture was the best I've managed with my limited equipment before. Not chunky, just not liquid smooth. My taste tester, was delightfully enthusiastic as well.


What is this delightful concoction?


Not that you can tell by the picture, because it looks more like an impersonation of Heath Ledger's, Joker, from "The Dark Knight" movie, don't you think? Peter really liked it and so did I. It gave me quite a buzz for the morning. I also used the leftover beetroot juice, for mixing into our chicken feed. What was left of the beetroot leaves, also went to the chickens.

So I reckon I got my value's worth, from two surprise morsels in the weed patch vegetable garden.



3 comments:

  1. Looks great! Such a good way to get extra veggies in. Also smoothies made into fruit ice poles are fun if the texture is a bit rougher. I find that my boys will happily eat iceblocks made up of stuff but they are texturally funny with smoothies if they are not super smooth. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea with the icy poles. I remember having icy poles as a child, made from blended fruit, like oranges and it had a lovely fibrous texture when frozen.

      My older daughter was the one with textural food issues. She can't eat lettuce because it makes her gag. I thought she might grow out of it (still possible) but she's an early teen now. ;)

      Delete
  2. Definitely channeling the Joker!lol. I love beets in smoothies. I've added them cooked and raw but I prefer the cooked version for the texture. I find that having them in smoothies makes them easier on my tummy too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.