Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Geoff Lawton

I'm having down time today, from our rainwater tank project. I needed it. So what do I do with my down time? I generally read the fantastic articles inspired by permaculture. If there's any hope in turning the tide against climate variability, it can be found in permaculture.

Being a parent and family member to others, I'm inspired by articles which show the extent of our human creativity, and the best we can do for all living things. So we can continue to be healthy, abundant, families and communities.



Peter found a garlic flower, and put it in my pocket


I was reminded of this, when I listened to one of Geoff Lawton's "Friday Five", links, in his weekly newsletters. You can listen to it here: it's called, "Alternative systems and true sustainability". It's fantastic to read the weekly links when I have the time. But what struck me in Geoff's talk today, was how he spoke about "Non eco-systems assemblies", as unsustainable.

We tend to look at corporate greed as the problem - and hey - it is. But if we want to break it down to a simple numbers equation; *any* application of energy, which is not based on eco-systems, will ultimately lose energy. It's that continued loss of energy to our natural systems (without replenishment) which makes it increasingly difficult to continue supplying our species with resources.

Geoff speaks about "sustainability" in a way that doesn't favour or prejudice any kind of alternative system that gives our species food, but he does make the claim that permaculture is second to none, when it comes to designing systems with a net gain in abundance. He said, once you generate abundance in a natural system, you're then free to trade in it.

Which is the kind of prosperity our children and grandchildren, need for their future. So naturally I love reading about it and finding ways to implement the information. My idea of down time.

NOTE: you will have to sign into Geoff's website by supplying an email and name. I've been doing this for years though, and it's totally been worth it. If you want to sign up to receive Geoff's, Friday Five, you can do so here.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy your down time! It is so important isnt it? I am enjoying down time too - though my down time is a little less educational then yours! ha! Mind you, I guess it's not really. Im trawling blogs and searching for my inspiration and focus coming up to the christmas season now that Uni is finished.

    I also need to work out where my red spell check line has gone....It seems to have completly vanished which is most annoying as my typing accurecy is pretty dodgy.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your downtime Emma. It's sooo nice, when we can get it. :)

      Delete
  2. After reading your blog yesterday I knew immediately just how you were feeling, and Oh my, how well you articulated it Chris. I'm having a chuckle today though, as here's a kindred spirit who finds the most satisfying relax reading in books and articles about sustainability. Music to my ears. ;) I've only just found your gorgeous blog and have a lot of catching up to do. I clearly need to find a bit more down time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos Sally. Let us search out, and absorb that wonderful information about sustainability (the stuff nature designs) together. Although, yes, when time allows, lol. ;)

      Delete
  3. I have a whole folder of 'Friday Fives' to get through. I keep promising myself to get to and read them. One day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get to read them all either. It might be nice to, but then I guess we like the activity outdoors instead. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.