Saturday, December 10, 2016
Buns and Candy-stripes
This morning, I pulled some more fruit buns from the oven. The weather cooled sufficiently enough, to be able to bake in the morning again. The kids will have a few today, now school holidays have started, and my husband will get the rest. I like to freeze them individually, and he can grab them for his lunch.
Afterwards, I continued knitting my candy-stripe, dishcloth. T'is the season for candy-stripes, right? But it came about more because I wanted to use up a ball of cotton, which I purchased from a second-hand store, many moons ago.
It was a case of seizing the opportunity, and not realising until I got it home, that I don't really like pink. Don't ask me how "white" cotton for my candy-stripe, ended up in my collection either. I must have thought it a good buy at the time.
In an effort to use up my supplies, instead of letting them collect cobwebs, year after year, I decided I could have a least one, candy-stripe dishcloth, as I am busy replenishing my supply. It means a lot of weaving-in ends, changing colours all the time, but at least I get to use up two colours, I may not have appreciated on their own.
Pink is not my thing, but making dishcloths are. I can't remember when exactly, I started making them (I estimate 8 years) but I know I only have to replenish my supply of dishcloths, every two years or so. I've always made the waffle knit dishcloth, from Homespun Living.
Only I modify mine, using 4 ply cotton now, and number 9 needles. I still use the same number of stitches though. It means I get a smaller cloth, but it fits perfectly over the sink faucet, and it doesn't hurt my hands to squeeze out. I found I struggled with the larger cloth, knitted with 8 ply cotton.
The other brilliant thing about using 4 ply cotton though, is the cloth dries really quickly in summer. Meaning no time for it to grow smelly or mouldy. If I haven't been writing much, it's because my knitting needles, are busy clicking in the background instead.