Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Make my day

I decided to do our shopping a few days earlier than usual. Don't ask me why, but I'd forgotten it was Valentine's Day. Kind of what happens when you're half asleep, getting your daughter ready for school and thinking about the shopping list. But when I entered the supermarket, I saw the shop display with fresh flowers and lots of people gathering around! Mmm...Valentine's Day - I knew there was something missing from my shopping list!

I scanned the aisles for ideas - passing the lollies and chocolate section and wondered if my family would like a special treat on Valentine's Day? So I looked at all the best deals and nearly parted with $15 for a big box of assorted chocolates. Then I stopped and wondered...I wondered if there was anything really special in that box of chocolates? We'd love it for all of 5 minutes, then regret it 10 minutes later when the bellies started to ache!

Then I started to wonder if I could bake something myself? So I passed the baking aisle next and looked at all the pre-made icing mixes, the sparkling silver balls and even went looking for heart shaped anything. My eyes soon glazed over for all the choices. I started to wonder if all that artificial stuff they stick in to keep it pretty and "safe", would taste as nice as home made royal icing? Not knowing exactly what I was going to put together, I decided I wasn't going to buy a gesture for Valentine's Day. I still had time, given I was home from shopping by 9am! So I decided I was going to make my family a day to remember.




Mmm...Is there anything more delicious, than freshly baked vanilla cakes, smothered with royal icing? I used some melted white chocolate to pipe the hearts on top. I even made my own piping bag out of greaseproof paper.




It only took about 3 hours to finish them and some of that time was for cooling. Yet after my creations were finished, it wasn't long before Dave was due to return from work, after collecting Sarah from school. Perhaps I had just long enough to set the table?




It was nothing flash, but more the thought which counted. I lit a candle, placed an angel ornament near by, and set our table for afternoon tea. I even put on a lovely dress to welcome them home with. The pair of them were delighted with their special surprise when they returned home together. Sarah kept saying she couldn't believe I did what I did. I'd much rather hear that than, why didn't you stop me from eating so much chocolate, LOL. She then felt inspired to give us all a hug as her Valentine's present.




Who would've thought on my little shopping trip, I considered buying them a box of chocolates? I really enjoyed spending part of my day, making them something from the heart instead.

4 comments:

  1. Those are the cutest cupcakes I've yet seen.I also think your table setting was very pretty. Happy Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww shucks, thanks.

    Here's to more Valentine's Days in the future. Happy this one to you too, and for the more to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats gorgeous Chris! Home-made with love beats shop chocs any day. Your icing is really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks MW, I hope your Valentine's went well. I don't always celebrate special occasions, but when I have the time available, I try to make it special. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.