Monday, March 19, 2012

Not the real deal

Okay, confession time...I've found something which is helping me cut some corners. Normally I like being authentic and really don't like rip-offs, but sometimes there are issues which truly need a different approach. Warning: if you're Canadian, stop reading now, as what I'm about to share will almost break your heart.




Today, I made "mock" maple syrup! Yup, and to add insult to injury, I even put it in a recycled "authentic" maple syrup jar from Canada. I know, don't hate me, but I do have genuine reasons for doing this. You see, I live in the Sugar Cane State of Australia - Queensland, and it's easier to buy sugar here than it is to find Maples. Sugar also travels less kilometres to make it to my pantry. I know it's not as authentic as the real deal, but surprisingly, this mock maple syrup recipe tastes pretty good!

Sarah gave it the big "thumbs-up" when she had it on pikelets for afternoon tea, smothered in creamy butter too. I thought it tasted scrumptious, but I can't have too much (health reasons). What I tasted however was yummo! So for all those who don't live near Canada, or have a climate to tap Maple trees, maybe you could give Mock Maple Syrup a try. It was really easy to make.

This recipe comes from "The Failsafe Cookbook", by Sue Dengate. All natural (no additives) ingredients, as long as you use real vanilla essence, and not the fake stuff.



MOCK MAPLE SYRUP

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine brown sugar and water and bring to the boil. Caramelise white sugar by heating it in a frypan until sugar melts and turns brown. Add brown sugar and water mixture and simmer until smooth and thick (I cooked it for about 10 minutes). Pour into a container with butter and vanilla, and stir until well mixed.

Because I was going to pour a warm liquid into a glass bottle, I heated the glass in the oven for 5 minutes first.

Truly, it tastes just like Maple Syrup! It also made about 250mls in quantity, with a few tablespoons to spare.

You should keep this mixture in the refrigerator, but get it out about an hour before you need to use it, so it has a chance to come to room temperature and pours easily. Enjoy!

EDITED TO ADD: I now realise that the syrup wasn't thick at all - it was the butter solidifying on the top and preventing the syrup from pouring out. I just quickly shook the bottle and the butter mixed in again. So no need to get it out before using it. Just shake the bottle before pouring. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Looks good:) I understand why you would make it considering it's imported from far away places...but for us, we have no excuse...its maple tapping season and we have honey still from last year with more coming. Also I dilute my elderberry jam for a change now and then.
    Sugar is what we need of break free of up here:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading plenty of overseas blogs with their various maple tapping adventures right now. When you have the climate for it, why not indulge in nature's sweet abundance. I certainly would, LOL.

    When you say you have to break free of sugar in the US, is that because you import a lot of it instead of growing it?

    I'd go the real mapple syrup over the fake stuff, any day, if it was a natural resource. Makes sense to eat what grows in abundance, in your own area. :)

    PS: sorry for being late to reply. But I had a little adventure of my own yesterday, LOL. Will blog about it, today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,
    Yes, the cutting back on sugar is partly about importing it but Americans in general eat far too much of it and my family is no exception. I can live without it most of the time.....the others cannot. We are getting used using honey instead of white sugar andttsa big step in thought direction.
    I read your newest post;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.