Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Urban Garden Tour

I use to live on an 800 sqm block in suburbia, but when I came to live on our five acres, I had to learn how to garden in a whole different way. Scale and exposure changes everything. But I still find learning about creative gardening in smaller spaces, helpful in my bigger picture landscape

So I wanted to share a video I found recently, from a channel called, "From seed to spoon". It's a small backyard in Oklahoma (US) and they're using the existing infrastructure, to help select sites for growing plants in different seasons.

I thought it was really interesting, as I'm sure a lot of people find it challenging to grow large, in small spaces. There are often too many shadows, where plants won't thrive, or excessive radiant heat, which could bake plants instead of growing them. But if you observe your environment, and change how you're growing things to meet those conditions, success is inevitable.






I hope you enjoy watching this video, and let me know if you're following any of this advice already? Or what have you learned about gardening in your own challenging conditions, to succeed?


6 comments:

  1. Thanks Chris. I will check it out later. 'Observe and interact' was a very interesting permaculture principle that Michael discussed last Saturday. I 'observed' that we had heaps of nettle growing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly, I read something about nettle recently, which was good for ??? I can't remember. Was it a compost activator, or it contained a particular deficiency known to Australian soils. Was it phosphorus??? Fickle brain isn't cooperating, lol.

      Observing, and interacting would have to be one of my favourite permaculture principles. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this. I watched one of their videos a few days ago, so I will bookmark this one to watch too.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Tania. I found it useful (and you may too) because even though we live on a lot of land, it's getting the edible stuff to grow, which proves to be the biggest challenge.

      Delete
  3. He's certainly off to a good beginning. He mentioned the summer heat several times so I can't think why he doesn't plant a few deciduous trees to give the plants a bit of shade. The winter sun would come in and he'd have all the leaves to add to the compost. He didn't mention wind, but trees would help moderate it too and provide habitat for birds for pest control.

    I like the simple watering system he's put over the boxes, with tiny holes for the water....just plug in the hose at one end. He obviously doesn't know about wicking beds yet, though.

    He's committed and that's the main thing and I get the impression he'll learn much as he goes and learn to adapt.

    Thanks for sharing. Always something to be learned from what others are doing, no matter how small.














    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure (if he's anything like me) he'll change his system a lot, as he observes more. ;) Although I was impressed how he already adapted his system, by raising the beds to catch more sunlight. Lateral thinking. :)

      Some people may be tempted to plant yuccas in such a small yard as that, but it was great to see something more productive.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.