Friday, September 21, 2018

Play time

School is out for another semester, so now is the time to activate imaginations, and enjoy two weeks of holiday. Surprisingly, when the kids were packed off to school for the last day, today, I found myself a tad obsessed.

When I say "obsessed", I mean I was engaged for HOURS - making preparations for the holiday. What was so enticing, it would take-up most of my day?

LEGO!


The Mario Brothers


It was all Mario's fault (in red) because Peter almost finished making him, before I had to pack him off to school. I thought I'd surprise Peter, by putting him together. Of course, I couldn't stop at Mario, could I? I had to build his brother Luigi (in green) next.

For those who aren't familiar with these two, they're a popular gaming franchise of Nintendo. Peter doesn't have much merchandise from the Mario Brothers, so we make our own. In this case, with Lego...


Help me, Mario!


Most of the Lego collection, was formerly his sisters. Which is why I was able to find a smidgen of pink, to make Princess Peach. Where would Mario be, without his Princess?

Of course, you know wherever Princess Peach is...Bowser is never far behind.


Hah-ha-ha-ha-HAHHH!
Mario doesn't stand a chance, Princess


This giant dinosaur, and arch nemesis of Mario, is always capturing Princess Peach - trying to force her to marry him. Only because he wants to take control of the mushroom kingdom!

My Lego version of Bowser, looks more like a Koopa Troopa. Doesn't matter when Peter is convinced it's Bowser though! That's what a good imagination is for.


Do not enter...


There's a Lego Mummy, guarding the entrance to Bowser's castle, so Mario and Luigi, won't have an easy time, getting through.


Defend the castle!


There's also a former Lego Knight, manning the giant crossbow again. It's been years since he's seen some action (tucked away in the Lego box) so he was keen to defend the castle once again - even if it was for a giant dinosaur.

Then there are bad guys, who aren't quite sure if they're bad guys or not...


...banana?


Poor Bob the minion, was just looking for some bananas to eat. Bowser promised him plenty of bananas, if he guarded the tower door, from two pesky plumbers!


Enter at own risk ~
especially if you're a banana


This tower came together, thanks to his sister's former lego collection, and Peter's new. I love mashing them together, to make new structures. Talk about getting value for money. His sister's collection must be at least 8 years old now, and still as sturdy as the day it came home.

So many interesting shapes, to put together. Whole new worlds to create! You can see why I became a tad obsessed...


Play time


So this made-up world, created with toys we already had, awaited Peter when he came home. He played - the bad guys lost (of course) then he went outside, to draw on his chalk board. In the time it's taken to write this post, he's come back inside, and playing with his Lego again.

I have a few other activities up my sleeve to pass the two weeks away. Things to be creative with. Things to do with our hands. I think I've been looking forward to these school holidays, just as much as the kids. Because I like being creative in the home, and not having to race-off in the mornings. At least for two weeks.

Have you been doing anything creative in the home, lately?

14 comments:

  1. Ha ha, you do have an interesting household, Chris! My daughter always looks forward to the holidays too. No morning rush to get to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, we do shake things up a little. By the end of the year though, I think parents long for those holidays, more and more.

      Delete
  2. Hahahahaha! Isn’t it fun to se up the kids toys? I remember loving coming home o find all my dolls hair neatly brushed and styled by my mother. As the only girl the only style I could manage on them was turning them all into giant birds nest. LOL

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame cleaning up, Emma. First, you pick-up a toy to find a home for it. Next, a companion appears - now they're both homeless. Suddenly the toy box isn't good enough, and you have to build a fort. Because forts are fun, and who wouldn't want to move into one! I wonder how your mum got started on your dolls?

      I'll just pick-up this brush, and straighten one little bit.... ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh and school holidays are still a week away, I’m in planning mode. I cannot wait for a change in the routine!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a great time playing with, I mean setting up, the Lego, Chris. Funny how we can become just as absorbed as children in these kinds of open-ended toys. I am loving that the school holidays are here too. They couldn't come fast enough and I love the freedom that is open to us now to have days with no plans whatsoever. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes, "setting up".

      That's what it was...*wink-wink*

      I suspect the end of winter, brings parents out of hibernation mode, and we just want to frolic in the sunshine with our kids - or make salted caramel, in the kitchen. Simple things which just shake the cobwebs out. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, many hours spent on the floor playing with Lego with the kids, it was usually a mix of them coming up with ideas and me working out how they could construct them or me coming up with ideas to add to a set up and them building it....fun times.
    Home made playdough was always a hit too, long after you think they are past it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds just like us with Lego collaborations. Although Peter got a ridiculous amount of playdoh for his birthday, when unbeknownst to his family and friends, they all bought him several packets, each. So I don't need to make any playdough for a while, lol. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.