Sunday, January 16, 2022

New faces

Hello there, neighbour
 

I'm still kicking around here, preparing for the new year ahead. School was unexpectedly postponed for 2 weeks, so a lot of my plans have been put back too. It's no major drama just yet. What was though, is an encounter with a neighbour who decided to pop by, for a quick visit.

I heard my pet cockatiels squarking outside, and then a sound on the metal-roof of the verandah. I looked outside the kitchen window, and see this sweet-face peering under the eave of the roof. I was a little concerned at first, because these are nocturnal, and it's heavy fur coat was in the direct sunlight. 

I grabbed the camera, opened the back door and it just stared at me. So I started asking where they came from, and why weren't they in bed at this time of the morning? 


Err..what?


They just gwaked at me, as if to say - silly human - didn't you erect this shade-cloth, for my day hammock? Well, not exactly, but I felt compelled to remind them all the same - they weren't exactly dressed for the occasion. Fur coats and summer, don't exactly mix. Maybe it could be their winter retreat hammock, instead?

The possum decided it would be gracious enough to take a rain cheque, before posing for a few snaps. More time, than I honestly thought they would bear my intrusion. A few minutes later, they calmly shuffled over the shade-cloth, before an impressive high-wire gallop across narrow wire. Finishing with a full, half-pike, with a twist landing, at the very bottom of the structure. It was incredibly graceful, until the final plop! 

Thanks for popping by, my inquisitive neighbour. Heaven knows what you were doing on my roof, but it was nice to meet you this morning. 

12 comments:

  1. Chris, we have possums here that live in the shed where my car is. I have to cover it with an old sheet at night as they wee on it 😳 They are not too popular here. Just ask the CEO 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember you saying something about covering your car, at one of the Simple Living meetings, because of some critters. I didn't remember they were possums. They aren't always popular, when they're known for getting into mischief. 😉

      Delete
  2. Chris, I've been thinking of you. Hoping you are well,
    Patricia/Fl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, nice to hear from you again. Doing really well. Thanks for thinking of me. I hope you're doing well too. 😘

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, great photo's, do they cause you problems on your land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. I was fortunate, this critter, paused for so long to let me take some pics. Truly wasn't expecting that. I think the possums are the ones munching on my pumpkins. Fortunately, the vines that spring up, procure a lot of fruit, so it doesn't matter if I share some. They're actually spreading the seeds for more wild pumpkin vines. 🙂

      Delete
  4. Great photo! They're very curious, Brushytails more than Ringtails, I find. My friend had one who lived on the top shelf of a cupboard on their enclosed verandah. It got in through the damaged back of the cupboard (or maybe it was responsible for the damage!) Mine don't come near the house...there are enough tree hollows and it's a quick run straight up the trunk to dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly don't mind taking advantage of the spaces people make for them, lol. You must have plenty of food for them in the bush, for them to stay away from the house. I think the ones around here, have gotten to know there's an easy meal from time to time. From my kitchen garden. It was a real treat to get so close and personal, and them not seem to mind.

      Delete
  5. So cute! Good to hear from you Chris. I know a lot is going on now, but it's a relief to have you check in with us every now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh. Nice to see you. I've wanted to check in for a bit, and glad I finally did! School's about to start again, so things will ramp up. But looking forward to the change and all the possibilities. I've been meaning to pop by your blog, to see what you and Dan have been up to! 🙂

      Delete
  6. Ah - we have a couple of possums that walk along the top of the fence at the same time every night. I resist feeding them (despite the cuteness)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.