Sunday, August 23, 2009

New ways to hatch eggs

I received a wonderful surprise in the mail on Friday...okay, so I was totally expecting it...but it still felt very exciting when the mail-man finally arrived with my package!

After much research, I finally decided to purchase an incubator for hatching my chicken eggs. While the styrofoam type incubators on the market did seem more popular, I wasn't comfortable with the thought of egg goop, getting into the foam once the chickens hatched. So I came across a plastic type of incubator, that was very cost competitive.

Here is my Hexabator (pressing the link will take you to the website I purchased it from) :




As you can see, the major housing unit is made from plastic. Not only will make it easier to clean, but it will also make watching the hatch (in approximately 21 days time) easier too. Which by my calculations, should be around Monday 14 September.

What's that you say? Yes, I've set the eggs today! There are 2 dozen in at the moment, although it says the incubator can take up to 60 eggs.




I've got bantam lavender Araucana eggs, bantam Orpington eggs, as well as Gold-Lace Wyandotte X bantam Orpington. I was going to cross the Wyandottes with my Araucanas at first, but they seemed to get on better with the bantam Orpingtons in the end. Should be exciting to see what eventually hatches!

The temperature on the incubator is now set at 37.5 degrees Celsius, which is close to the optimal temperature for hatching eggs. For more information on what's involved in the incubation process, visit this link.

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Oh more babies for you! I can't wait to see what happens.
    Our GLWs are going well, they have become very quiet and are laying an egg or two every day now. How they love to sing about that!

    Goodluck with you eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wish you luck indeed, I have been thinking about doing the same thing myself but we are not allowed to have roosters so I would have to buy in the eggs, and then of course find homes for the male chicks.

    It will be very exciting when they start to hatch, can't wait to hear how you go. x Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh babies:) aaaawwww

    None for me here as that fox got my 2 brooders.:(

    Hope you have lots of success with the eggs. Can't wait for them to hatch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested in how your new incubator works. No doubt you will post updates on the progress. :)
    I have not started my incubator research, however you have found a very cost effective model. May I ask what some of the other incubators were which you considered before going with this one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I hope to have updates as it progresses. The temperature is remaining stable, which is a good sign.

    Glad the GLW's are now laying for you Littlefarm, they do love a good clucking session afterwards. :)

    Deb, if you decide to give incubating a go, I'd love to hear about it. Most of what I've learned has been through other people's experiences. If you are going to buy eggs, see if you can collect them locally as postage tends to knock them around a bit.

    Hi Lucky, I'm sorry to hear about the fox and your broodies. It's terrible when they make their raids. I hope the rest of the flock is okay, and Mr fox stays away in future. My pekins were the best broodies I had, until I found them a new home. :)

    As for the other brands I was researching Spots, I should do a post about it. There are so many incubators on the market and it was hard to know what size I really needed. Some only incubate 3 eggs at a time, some 20 and it keeps going upwards.

    Expense is the biggest issue though.

    I'll do a post in future, with all the links I've collected in my search. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, how cool is that
    im excited for you, dont forget to post hatching pics when the time comes :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.