Monday, March 21, 2016

Autumn means

It's autumn, so the temperatures are dropping and its time to get propagating again. Doing this in autumn means, I'll have cuttings ready for planting in spring. The reduced evaporation, also means the chances of cuttings, successfully striking, are greatly improved.


Rosemary - centre


It's been a few years since I've done rosemary, but I've decided to try and get some more in the ground, for bee food. Its a favourite for them it seems. Plus its extremely hardy in our climate. An excellent hedge and windbreak too.


Various cuttings


I've also taken some more pineapple sage, as with their fragrant red flowers, it's another bee favourite. I've also taken some lavender, daisies and pepino cuttings too. I want to plant the pepino in my hugelkultur bed, along with some bananas we propagated earlier.


Propagating larger plants


These four dwarf Ducasse bananas, have gotten much bigger, since we cut them from the parent plant. We also have another three banana trees, out of shot. So there's plenty of propagation material to find places for in the garden. A pumpkin has also sprouted from the compost I had in the wheelbarrow too!

But now for something new I'm trying this year...


Mulberry cuttings


I'm attempting to strike mulberry trees, in water with a dash of Seasol for nutrients. I initially read about it here. Scroll down the bottom, for the water technique. It's very simple.

After several days sitting in the water, I'm happy to report...


Click to enlarge


There appears to be roots forming, albeit, tiny ones. I have to change the water every week, to ensure there's a fresh supply of oxygen and mould doesn't start developing on the stems. I hope these will transplant well into potting mix after the roots get a little longer, and stronger.

I only managed to strike one mulberry cutting in soil, last year, out of a whole bunch. So I'm hoping this new technique, will be more successful. I love mulberries trees. They grow so quick in our hostile environment, feed themselves every year with a leaf drop, and simply make it cooler, wherever they are planted.

So here's hoping I get some success from this year's propagation attempts.


6 comments:

  1. nice work Chris, love an update on those mulberries after you stick them in the dirt. how long till you get bananas from the small cuttings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely update. Placing them in the dirt after striking roots in water, makes me a tad nervous. I'm concerned I will have wonderful roots growing in water, and then it dies, once I put it into the soil.

      I'll report how it developes. :)

      So long as they don't go through too many extremes, the bananas should provide us fruit from 9 to 12 months. I'm expecting by next autumn we'll definitely have bananas again.

      Delete
  2. That looks like fun! We planted two mulberry last year so I'm curious about how your cuttings will work out. I've tried and failed at cuttings from a hazelnut shrub so look forward to some success from at least one tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating when those cuttings don't strike, isn't it? I keep trying every year though, lol. I hope your mulberries do well, as your hazelnut. Does it require another variety to pollinate, or is it self- pollinating?

      Delete
  3. I did not know that about mulberry! I ordered and planted one last year (I believe they are self-pollinating, or I would have ordered two.) The one died so they nursery replaced it. The goats ate down that one (by mistake) but both are leafing out now! We're in the opposite season frame as you now, but I should do my research this summer and plan ahead to do some propagating next fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my bad wording to Linda's comment. I was asking if the hazelnut required a pollinator, as I have no experience growing them. Mulberries on the other hand, are wonderfully productive all by themselves. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.