Saturday, March 19, 2016

Some inspriation

I was looking through some youtube videos recently, for some inspiration. Then I thought, why keep them all to myself? If I found them interesting, you might too.

In relation to our hugelkultur beds, I discovered an interesting take on a hugel/wicking container, being done in Alabama. I just may experiment with this myself.





In relation to simple living in a suburban backdrop, I discovered a renoun couple doing it their way in California. It just goes to show, you don't have to have a large property, to be more self-reliant.





I'm not so much of a fan of their tall palm plantations, down the street though. But I guess its part of the LA character now, so it won't be changed any time soon. I'd much rather see their streets planted with food forests.

It's still a suburban settlement, with a lot of green happening though. I found the comment interesting, that families have been keeping livestock and growing food, throughout time. It's only been since the 2nd world war, we have forgotten. Or we were encouraged to be good consumers, more than being self-reliant.

On that note, here's something from Sepp Holzer which speaks in more direct terms.





There's an interesting mix of thoughts to be had from all three videos. The first two, make the change doable. But Sepp really tells us why its essential, at the end.

I hope you enjoy them, as much as I did.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Something gained from all three. Sepp Holzer is always good value....rather like a version of Bill Mollison speaking German.

    I used to start off my wicking boxes like that when I didn't have enough chook poo compost. I would fill the bottoms with prunings, mulched bracken, bark, anything to provide bulk and then put my precious compost over the top and plant. I just kept topping up with compost as it became available, to make up for the loss in volume as the stuff underneath broke down. Added some worms to help, and it worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comparison between Bill and Sepp have crossed my mind too. Glad you enjoyed the viewing selection. :)

    Also, thanks for sharing your experience with the hugel/wicking containers. I'm gearing up to make our first wicking box attempt, and I want to avoid buying stuff if I can. We have both sand and rotting wood stuffs laying around, so I'll be giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the first videos pots! He had solutions for insects which was my big problem in huglekulture....massive ant farms;) The palm trees are classic L.A. but chec out the work of Ron Finley some day...he's utilizing the curb space to feed his community in LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you could take something away, which will help your gardening efforts. That's why I love to watch youtube video's. There's always someone experimenting with new ways of doing things. ;)

      I will have to check out Ron's work. Thanks for the name drop.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.