Thursday, October 18, 2018

Closing airways

The last few days, have been a blur. David took Peter to the emergency room at our local hospital, when he had problems breathing and was vomiting. By the time they got there, he was very limp and barely conscious. They saw him immediately, and a team of medical staff quickly ensued.


Fell asleep (with his sister) at midday ~
Mario and Luigi came to hospital, along with his favourite blankey


David and Sarah took the day-shift at the hospital, and I took the night-shift. He responded quickly to oxygen, but struggled to keep food down. I'm grateful we live in a country that will treat our children, regardless of whether they have health insurance or not. Because we didn't have to worry, when an overnight stay was advised.

He's back home now, and all is returning to normal. Except we are now treating him, for asthma. It only occurs when he has a respiratory infection - which is likely what he caught from school. So his medication is socked away, and ready to use, when required.

I have some gardening posts I want to get around to soon. For now though, we're just taking time to recuperate.



10 comments:

  1. Dear me, Chris...what a worry for you all. Hopefully you will all recover soon and you will be able to get back into the garden after the rain where I am sure there are plenty of weeds waiting for you if your place is anything like ours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent some time in the garden today Chel, and it was wonderful. So much to do now the rain has returned. But I'm taking it easy. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope he is feeling much better, its horrible when your child is suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Chris, Asthma is just the worst! So frightening for you all.

    I hope you all manage to get some rest and recuperate- the gardening posts will wait. I have three children with asthma, who fight it when they have a nasty virus. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Chris, how worrying for you all. Good to hear Peter is getting better and was well looked after in hospital.
    I am sure he was very happy to be back home and feeling much better,not to mention eating Mum's cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Peter is back home with you now, Chris, and that he is getting better. I'm sure you will all be sleeping a lot easier now. You must have been so worried for him. My son gets asthma too, induced by the cold, and it's not fun. Take Care! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asthma can be a frightening thing. Glad all seems OK now. Thinking of you. If I lived closer, I would come and help with the weeding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super scarey when this happens. When my 28yr old was 4 he had a similar episode. That day the phones were out so it was a mad dash to hospital 50kms away. I remember it all so I can empathise with you. Remember you used a lot of adreniline which needs to be paid back. Take time to rest. Peter needs you in full health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that adrenaline, certainly catches up with you! We've enjoyed not doing anything too stressful. Home, can sometimes be the best medicine.

      Delete
  8. Thank you everyone, for your warm wishes. We're slowly getting back to normal. Although I'm surprised how many kids have/had this same issue. We're told Peter might grow out of it, so I hope all our little'ns, do! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.