Saturday, May 6, 2023

Coming undone

 

Rotary clothesline ~ 2023


Who doesn't love a good clothesline for hanging those exceptionally large bed linens on? When you make the bed and tuck yourself in that first evening, they smell like heaven and sunshine. Bliss! My rotary clothesline, has seen better days though... 

Fifteen years in the Australian sunshine, will take it's toll. Even on UV protected infrastructure, like many of the products are designed for outdoor use, in Australia. The sun it's notoriously harsh. My rotary clothesline, circa 2007 - has gone the distance. It's just that it started coming undone...


Out of commission


It's easy to take those taught lines for granted, until they turn into floppy noodles! If you've ever watched one go into decline, it's the synthetic covering to crack first. You'll probably get another few years out of it. Until a chunk of the synthetic covering falls away. So you avoid those lines for hanging, for the next few years. 

Finally, the nesting birds take an interest in the newly exposed threads. The fairy wrens were cute. I barely noticed what they looted. But when a flock of noisy minors took shifts, shedding fibres away - it was time to finally hang up my washing basket and put the Google sleuth on, instead. 


Black holder, accessed with bolt underneath.


I learned there were different brands of rotary style clotheslines. Each with their own patented design to hold and tension the line. So it helps to know which brand your particular line is. I didn't at first, and watched a tutorial that was absolutely no use to me. Turns out...  😂 

If you're interested, here is the tutorial for my Daytek rotary clothesline:


Professionals installers


It was a good comparison to watch the different videos, because I realised the benefits of my brand over others. As it didn't require a continuous line to tension the whole thing. Just as well, Because I only initially purchased 30 metres of chord. When I was 4 metres short!

Not a problem for my brand though. As I could install the chord I had - 4 runs, out of the 5. Which meant the newly washed bed sheets were hung ASAP. Then I returned with the small amount of line remaining, to finish the job. Very simple to install as well. 


Daytek replacement chord 
colour: primrose


Utility knife - cutting chord

Pliers - assist with tensioning

Step ladder - for a bird's eye view

Torque screwdriver (8 mm bit attachment) - removing/tightening bolt

 Time to install: approx 2 hours if it's your first time


I used a torque screwdriver, but a regular 8mm wrench works too.

A few notes I'd like to add about my first install. It was easier to use my hands to tension, rather than the pliers. They did come in handy on the smallest run of chord though. Where there isn't much room for your arms to manoeuvre, because you're pressed up against the post.

If I was installing again on a different clothesline, I'd measure the chord required, instead of estimating. As it was cheaper to buy the 60 metre run, than the 2x 30 metres.


Improvising


My cute peg basket, no longer has to sit on wet grass. I simply used an over-the-door hanger, turned it upside down and hooked into the clothesline, where the coathangers normally go.

Easy to put up and take down, as needed. Rather than having the basket out to get damaged by the elements. The hook goes into the basket with the pegs when done, and returns to the laundry.

Simple fixes for a simple chore, we all have to do. Is there something you have invented, or a routine to make your laundry days easier?



4 comments:

  1. Chris we have an all wire clothesline. As old as the paddocks I would imagine 🤔 It was probably here when hubby bought the house nearly 46 years ago. You are amazing how you can fix things 👍 Chel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks. 😊 I like to fix things, when possible. I'm glad to hear you've preserved the old Hill's hoist, in your backyard. They're the original rotary clothesline brand in Australia. Many people pull them out and take them to the tip, for the newer looking and often smaller brands. But the original Hill's hoists were strung with galvanised wire. So virtually indestructible!! You've got a gem right there.

      Delete
  2. When my umbrella clothesline did that, it never occurred to me to fix it! But then, I wanted to replace it with a pulley clothesline because my humidity is a deterrent with to drying with the umbrella style. My original idea was to run it from the back porch to the barn, but husband said it wouldn't work, plus the laundry would have blocked the barnyard. So I have to carry my laundry a short ways, but I don't mind because I like it better than the umbrella style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your different clothesline style. If I'm recalling correctly, I think Dan built it out of wood he milled himself? It looked extremely solid and fit the historical tradition of what rural living pioneers, dried their clothes and heavy linens on. Finding a style that suits your needs specifically, and can be maintained, is the way to go. The fact Dan hand crafted it though - well that's dedication for you, and I'm all here for that!

      But I love how you introduced in your comment, the need to plan other things around your clotheslines. Like it has to fit in the backdrop of many different activities, which is so true. Meaning if people have to replace an incompatible clothesline, to make it work, then that takes priority and has to be factored in.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.