Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Before we were...

I have promised a Passionfruit-slice recipe, which was meant to be the very next post. However, I couldn't let Mother's day pass, without a tribute, first. This special day is a happy time for some, and a sad one, for others. Mothers who have passed away, and some who struggle, to live up to the title - well, life is not always fair like that. Yet we hold "mother" as the gracious role it was meant to be.



My mum & I, on my wedding day ~ 2013
6 months pregnant with my first child


Like all mums (myself included) we are not perfect. Yet they endeavour to be there, for all the important things. Like being ready with a band-aid, when kids fall from their bikes. A hug when they feel uncertain. Home-made meals, only mum can make. They teach us it's okay to fail, and more importantly, how to get back up again. Basically, they try to be there, to help shape us into decent human-beings.

My mum is getting older. I am getting older too. So are my kids. It's all happening the way it should. Yet, how easy is it, to get caught in the busyness of life, and forget how important the ones who went before us, really are? Does it matter what we're doing, if we forget them? For me at least, life starts to lose more of it's meaning, when glossing over the ones who came before us. I know all too well, life can be stressful and take my eyes away. And the needs of my own kids, don't take care of themselves either.

So how do you balance it all together?


My youngest, makes a heart ~ he will turn six, soon


As my mother taught me - each day is a brand new one, and (if you're lucky) you get to start all over again. So start each day, like it's a new opportunity to do better. Hindsight only comes, if we give ourselves the benefit of patience, grace and humility, to change. This applies, whether we are mothers or not. I wasn't a mother, when she taught me this. But oh, how I've needed that wisdom, when I threaten to come undone as one. Or maybe, even just as a human being.

Patience, grace and humility have more value, than any kind of busyness which can occupy us. Because it purchases the coveted ticket, of gaining wisdom. Something, I might add, I'm still attempting to do! Because life (at this point in time) is extremely busy. But I'm fortunate to have my family, still with me. To remind me, what it's all for.

At some point, the baton will pass to my own children. And I hope through all their busyness (that comes with life) they will see the seed of wisdom, my own mother planted in me. So they too, may blossom with this understanding. For it's an imperfect world, we live - and each day, is a brand new one.


8 comments:

  1. Well said, Chris. My Mum lived until she was in her late nineties so had a 'good innings' as she used to say. Life is never quite the same after one loses their mother so it is nice to let them know they are appreciated and loved while we still have them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful, your mum got such a long run in life! I know someone turning 98 soon, and it amazes me, how sharp and agile he still is, at that age. I should hope to be so lucky.

      What you said about letting them know, was on my mind this mother's day too. Which is why I decided to make the effort to go see her, over an hour away. The family in tow, despite a long list of things to do - just nothing seemed more important, than being there. Because you cannot get that time back. It's precious, with all our loved ones. I hope you got some cuddles for mother's day. If not, here's one from me! (((hugs))).

      Delete
  2. Love this post Chris, to value your mother is so important, there is not a day passes when I do not miss mine. I would give anything to be able to hug her and just sit and chat, simple things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mothers seem to be really good at teaching us to appreciate the simple things. Like having a conversation, over a warm drink. Yes, to those shared experiences. Hugs to you, too - and I raise my coffee cup, in memory of your mum. She is with you. :)

      Delete
  3. Chris, this is a wonderful tribute not only to your mother, but to all mothers. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh. Mums certainly deserve our support. Especially when they've put in the hard yards. The older we get, the more we can appreciate what they've accomplished. :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely thoughtful post Chris. I did not always give my Mother the grace she deserved when I was growing up. I guess thats common with many teenagers. But motherhood has taught me the things that I could never have understood as a teenager. Motherhood has shown me that all people have a story and all people need grace, as I get older I get gentler in many ways. I understand my many shortcomings and that most of us are doing our very best in a sometimes difficult world.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nodding my head, on all counts, Emma. Took my mum for granted as a teen too, motherhood mellowed me, and understanding my shortcomings, is how I learned to give grace to others. Mum's are a true blessing, whether they're our own, or not. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love reading what you have to share. Gully Grove is a Spam free environment though, so new commenter’s only leaving hyperlinks, will be promptly composted.